A Study In Life:

"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant."

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > What'd it Feel Like when the World Changed?

BusyBusyBusy

Yesterday, February eleventh, the year two thousand and eleven, of the Common Era, the world changed. And in a big way. The dictator in Egypt finally surrendered his position, and stepped down from leadership of Egypt. The world -changed- yesterday, and yet... Everything feels just the same. That news is sending shockwaves through the middle east, and all the surrounding countries.

Revolution is in the air. A revolution has -succeeded-. Toppled a government.

Who will be next? What land, what country, what pet principality of somewhere is going to throw off the yoke of a dictator next? Or, worse, throw off the imposed yoke of an ally?

What did it feels like, for you, when you heard about this? When you saw the news?

What did it feel like when the world changed?

February 12, 2011 at 3:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Olivia Lawrence
Site Owner

I watched a youtube video posted by a friend on Facebook of newsfeed from a square in Cairo, and for the whole 3 minutes of video there was cheering, and only the video stopped, not the cheering.  It was pretty amazing to watch, I mean I haven't seen cheering like that ever, and the only thing the I could compare it to would be a huge sporting event.  I think we're just far too detached in this country to even begin to fathom something as life-altering as that.

February 12, 2011 at 9:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Allison Marie

I've been following it on the news and online ever since it began.  It's amazing and the changes that could take place in Egypt-- even the Middle East-- are astronomical.  The greatest part was that these anti-government protestors were non-violent in their approach.  This kind of revolt is what all revolutionists should aspire to.  They took control of their country peacefully, even when attacked by pro-government protestors and groups.

I can only imagine what these people are thinking and feeling right now: excitement, apprehension, relief, pride, happiness, and even grief for those who were hurt or killed in the past few weeks.  Seeing the crowd in Tahrir Square cheering after Mubarak handed over power put me in awe.  There were such intense emotions coming from these people that I couldn't help but feel amazed and happy for them.

Right now, other protestors in the Middle East are trying to start an uprise against their current governments.  They're already facing obstacles, as Egypt did, so it's definitely going to take a lot of moxie for these people to get through this.  If they're successful, there may be more countries in other parts of the world that will attempt to revolutionize their government's system as well.  What these countries want is a true democracy, and unless they turn to hypocrisy, these people have a real chance at getting it.

February 13, 2011 at 1:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.