A Study In Life:

"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant."

Forums

Forum Home > Spiritual > Mythology and History

BusyBusyBusy

I had a terribly interesting conversation, yesterday, with my girlfriend, Cydney, that brought me to raise a certain point:

We were sitting together, and I was relaying to her various old Greek and Roman myths. She frowned, thoughtfully, as I talked, and finally, quizzically, looked at me, and asked, "Where did they come up with this? The way they talk about it, it's like they think it's real. These things never happened." All I could do was laugh. She then continued to ask me, "But if these things were real, they'd be in the history books, wouldn't they?"

To answer this, I raised two points. First, Christianity is still prevalent as the closest thing we have to a state religion. How would a Christian teacher react to seeing Mythology treated as anything but flights of fancy, and metaphorical parodies of reality?

Second, look at a map. The Ionian Sea, and the Bosphorus? They owe their names to the story of Io. Europe was named after Europa, whom the Gods degreed would never be claimed by Asia, or Africa. The island of Minos is named for the King, Minos, whose wife bore the half-human Minotaur, which was secreted away in the Labyrinth of Minos. Mount Olympus, the highest mountain in Greece, was considered the earthly dwelling of the Divine.

Tell me, then - Are they not in the books? Flights of fancy, indeed.

June 4, 2011 at 5:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.